Dog Bite Lawyers
JUSTIN FOR JUSTICE
FARAHI LAW FIRM
Dog Bite Lawyers in Torrance, California
Dogs are curious by nature. They love to explore and play with everything, including children. This shouldn’t be a problem if the animal is trained, and the kid knows how to treat it. However, dogs are more likely to bite children than to bite adults.
If you or a loved one has been bitten by a dog, contact the best dog bite lawyers in Torrance. Farahi Law Firm has the professionals who will help you obtain the justice that your family deserves.
Kids at risk
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at least 4.7 million dog bites occur every year in the United States. Nevertheless, the rate of dog-bite–related injuries is highest among children 5 to 9 years old (15.2%), just followed by teenagers between the ages of 10 to 14 (13.4%).
Moreover, boys are most likely to be bitten by dogs than girls.
What can you do to Prevent a Dog Bite?
To prevent further dog bite-related lesions, the CDC recommends:
- Never leave a child alone with any dog.
- Consult with a professional before choosing a dog to determine suitable breeds based on your lifestyle and physical environment.
- Exclude dogs with histories of aggression, especially if you have children.
- Be sensitive to cues that show you when a child is fearful or apprehensive about a dog.
- Spend time with a dog before you buy it or adopt it.
- Spay/neuter all dogs if possible.
- Use caution when bringing a dog or puppy into the home of an infant or toddler.
- Properly socialize and train any dog entering the household.
- Do not play aggressive games with the dog.
- Seek professional advice if the dog develops aggressive or undesirable behaviors.
What to do After a Dog Bite
According to the CDC, the Emergency Departments of the United Stated treated at least 5,559 cases of dog-bite related in 2001. They could be prevented if the victims followed these steps:
- Use water and soap to wash the bite carefully and thoroughly.
- Unless the wound is large enough to cause severe blood loss, do not try to stop the bleeding!
- Apply an antibiotic.
- Wrap a sterile bandage to keep the area clean. Remember to change it often.
- If you do not know the dog, call 911 because your kid may need to start rabies vaccinations.
- To prevent infection, see a pediatrician within eight hours of the bite. Children with diabetes or a compromised immune system should be extra careful.
It is also essential that you protect your child’s rights, so you need to call the Police and fill out a report of the incident. Please write down the dog’s owner’s info (name, address, phone number, and, if possible, his or her insurance information), as well as of the potential witnesses.
To prove your case, take photographs of the wounds, bruises, or other injuries before they are treated. Note down the events and circumstances of the incident with as much detail as you can remember.
You must keep track of all your expenses related to your child’s injuries and contact the best dog-bite lawyer in Torrance. Call Farahi Law Firm at (844) 4-JUSTICE. We will get the compensation your child deserves!
Even when every animal attack is different, according to the CDC the most common dog-bite related injuries are:
- Contusion /abrasion/ hematoma 6.0%
- Laceration 24.7%
- Punction 40.2%
- Fracture/ Dislocation 0.4%
- Amputacion/Avulsion/Crush 0.8%
- Celulitis/Infection 1.5%
- Unspecified dog bite/ Other 26.4%
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) affirms that the average cost of a dog bite-related hospital stay is $18,200, 50% higher than the average injury-related hospital stay.
Who Is Held Responsible for Dog-Bite Injuries?
As stated by Section 3342 of California’s Civil Code, the owner of any dog “is liable for the damages any person suffered who is bitten in a public or private place, including the property of the owner of the dog regardless of the former viciousness of the animal or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.”
This law will not be applied to any governmental agency using a dog in military or Police work if the bite occurred while the dog was defending itself from an annoying, harassing, or provoking act. It will also not be applied in any of the following cases:
- The apprehension or holding of a suspect.
- The investigation of a crime or possible crime.
- The execution of a warrant.
- The defense of a peace officer or another person.
What damages can be Recovered in a Dog Bite Lawsuit in Torrance?
If your child, or any other loved one, has been bitten by a dog, contact Farahi Law Firm. Our expert dog bite lawyers will guide you to the hold process and work hard to obtain the compensation your family deserves. Among the damages we will recover for you are:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Physical or vocational therapy
- Property damages
- Psychological counseling
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages
The medical bills include payment for expenses like on-site treatment by an emergency medical technician, ambulatory services, and emergency room treatment:
- Wound cleaning,
- Stitches and suturing,
- Tetanus shots,
- Rabies shots, if necessary,
- Removal of dog teeth still inside the wound,
- Antibiotic treatments to prevent or neutralize infections.
Also, the dog’s owner will have to pay:
- Surgical procedures to fix broken bones,
- Plastic surgery to mitigate the scarring or disfigurement
- Occupational therapy,
- Ongoing maintenance and replacement of medical devices, like prosthetics or wheelchairs.
Besides, the dog’s keeper or pet’s owner is responsible for the mental anguish and the emotional trauma that your kid felt, the compensation must cover:
- The terror of the attack,
- The fear of needing emergency medical care
- The realization of the severity of his or her medical condition,
- The distress of not being able to do the things he or she loves because of her or his injuries,
- The anguish of living with a disfigurement (if that is the case)
- Any latent or subconscious fear of dogs
Dog bite victims can also recover compensation for any property damage sustained in the incident. This includes any piece of clothing damaged during the attack, children’s toys, bicycles, or electronic devices. Note that compensation for property damage can also cover injuries suffered by a hurt dog.
If the dog bite was fatal, please contact us immediately. Your family deserves justice! Our lawyers will work hard to obtain it for you. The damages we will recover include:
- Funeral and burial expenses, and
- Lost financial support
Will the dog owner's insurance cover all these damages?
To cover the costs of the dog bite, the pet owner or the keeper often carry insurance plans, such as:
- Dog owner insurance
- Auto liability insurance
- Homeowner’s or renter’s insurances
- Personal umbrella liability policies
The Insurance Information Institute (Triple-I) states that homeowners and renters insurance policies cover dog bite legal liability expenses up to $300,000. If the claim exceeds that limit, the dog owner is responsible for all damages above that amount.
If your child or any other loved one has been bitten by a dog, and you’re getting second thoughts about filing a claim, remember that you are entitled to compensation.
According to Triple-I, homeowners’ insurers paid out $797 million in liability claims related to dog bites and other dog-related injuries in 2019.
Besides, the average cost per claim increased by 14.7% last year, when $44,760 up from $39,017 paid in 2018. As you can see, seeking justice pays well. Hiring an expert lawyer improves your chance of getting a better settlement. Contact us today! Our experienced dog bite lawyers will advocate for your kid’s rights.
Why do I Need a Dog Bite Lawyer?
The defendant could argue that you (or whoever got injured) provoked the animal, or you were trespassing when the incident happened. There’s also the possibility that he/she may attempt to deny ownership of the offending animal. A professional and specialist attorney will help you sort all these scenarios. At Farahi Law Firm, we have the experience to guide you in these difficult and complicated times. Our dog bite lawyers will work hard to get the compensation you deserve. Contact us today!
Contact Farahi Law Firm
Has your child or other loved one been injured by a dog in Torrance? Contact an expert dog bite lawyer immediately. At Farahi Law Firm, we have experienced attorneys that will help you get the justice you deserve.
Contact us today at (844) 4-JUSTICE for a free consultation with one of our lawyers. We are available 24/7. We offer a no-fee guarantee until we win.
Drunk Driving Accident FAQs:
You should contact a lawyer as soon as possible. The investigation into the incident should begin immediately. Remember, like any other personal injury, you have two years from the date of the dog bite to file the case to save your privileges. This period is known as the statute of limitations. In the case the lawsuit is filed after this time, the court may rule it without a trial.
Yes, as long as you were not provoking the dog.
Besides the name, address, and insurance information of the dog’s owner or keeper, you should describe the scene of the attack. Be sure to collect all the information you can gather as whether the dog has bitten before. It is also essential that you take photographs of the injuries as soon as possible and update them as the wounds heal.
That depends on the healing process and the severity of your injuries. Our lawyers will want to make sure they are aware of any potential future damages before entering into any settlement negotiations.
It depends on the severity and the outcome of your injuries, as well as the medical bills. We cannot tell a person what a case is worth without a thorough evaluation of the medical records and viewing of any scarring.