Brain Injury Lawyers
FARAHI LAW FIRM, APC
Top 100 in the Nation!
As Seen In The News
Brain Injury Lawyers in Torrance, California
Human brain has fascinated Science for years. Its complicated structure and functions have been studied since the founding of technology to understand it. However, science is still far from the complete understanding of the scope of each of the cells that make up the human brain.
On the other hand, this is what we know so far: an injury can change the neural activity, physical integrity, metabolic activity, or functional capacity of nerve cells in the brain. This is known as traumatic brain injury, resulting from different types of an accident such as:
- Car accidents
- Sports injuries/recreative injuries
- Bullet wounds
- Work injuries
- Child abuse
- Domestic violence
- Military actions
If you or a loved one has sustained this kind of injury after an accident because of someone else’s negligence, contact Farahi Law Firm. Our traumatic brain injury lawyers will advise you about your legal options. Call us today at (310) 544-8347.
A Public Health Problem
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the traumatic brain injury cases increased by 53% from 2006 to 2014 with an average of 155 registered deaths daily. Also, in 2014, 2.87 million people went to the emergency departments for a traumatic brain injury and from there, 837,000 were recorded as children.
The traumatic brain injury cases from that year led to the death of 56,800 people, and 2,259 of them were children. The problem with this kind of injury is that it has grown so much rapidly. In fact, the National Conference of State Legislatures has considered it as a serious problem of public health.
Moreover, there are more than 2.5 million visits to the emergency department for traumatic brain injury every year at which 282,000 people are hospitalized and 50,000 were declared dead.
The CDC classifies the TBI symptoms in 4 categories:
- Difficulty for thinking clearly
- Feeling slow
- Difficulty to concentrate
- Difficulty to remember new information
- Blurry vision
- Light sensitivity
- Lack of equilibrium
- Lack of energy
- Be more sensitive
- Sleep more than normal
- Sleep less than normal
- Trouble to sleep
Even though these symptoms could appear immediately after the blow or accident, in some cases, they could be delayed. This is reason enough to pay attention to the behavior of the person who suffered the injury and pay attention to their reaction with the surroundings.
Nevertheless, if you have one of the symptoms mentioned below, you must go immediately to the emergency department and seek professional help:
- Headaches that increase
- Weakness and lack of coordination
- Nausea and constant vomiting
- Slurred speech
- Chronic weakness
- Having one pupil bigger than the other
- You have trouble recognizing people or places
- You feel more confused or agitated
- You have an unusual behavior
- You lost conscious
The children could have any of the symptoms above, aside from crying and loss of appetite.
Remember that if you or a loved sustained a traumatic brain injury, you are not alone. At Farahi Law Firm, we are here to help you. Our traumatic brain injury lawyers will take care of all the legal proceedings so you can focus on your recovery. Contact us for a free evaluation of your case.
Types of Brain Injuries
The American Association of Brain Injuries says that the injuries could be classified in mild, moderate, and severe. The most frequent are:
- Diffuse Axonal Injury. It could be caused by shaking or a strong rotation to the head, like the shaken baby syndrome or a car accident.
- Contusion. It is a bruise or bleeding in the brain provoked by a blow in the head.
- Coup-Contrecoup Injury. Injuries that are in the place of the impact and the exact opposite of the brain. This happens when the strength that hits the head is great enough to cause a contusion in the place of the impact and to move the brain so it hits the skull.
- Second impact syndrome. also known as recurrent traumatic brain injury) This happens when a person sustained a second traumatic brain injury before the symptoms of the first brain traumatic brain injury healed. The second injury could occur days or weeks after the first. It is not necessary to lose consciousness. It is more probable that the second impact causes brain swelling and general damage.
- Penetrating injury. It occurs from the impact of a bullet, a knife or another sharpened object that opens the skin and skull through the brain.
- Abusive traumatic brain injury (shaken baby syndrome) The movement, similar to whiplash, causes the brain to be injured.
- Open injury in the head. Injury in which the dura mater (external layer of the meninges) breaks. It could be caused by high-velocity projectiles or another object at lower velocity, like knives, or a bone fragment from a skull fracture.
- Closed injury in the head. It is caused by an external force without any penetration of the skull. When the brain swells, it has no room to expand, so it can cause an increase in intracranial pressure.
Keep in mind that these are only some examples of traumatic brain injuries and that only a qualified doctor can determine which one you have; its severity and the best treatment. Never take any drug without a prescription and don’t self-diagnose. It is unsafe.
Don’t forget that after a traumatic brain injury you are entitled to compensation. At Farahi Law Firm we have expert traumatic brain injury lawyers that are available 24/7 to answer your questions. We will fight for your rights and obtain the justice you deserve.
Physical And Emotion Sequelae Of A TBI
The article, Neurobehavioral sequelae of traumatic brain injury: evaluation and management, by Thomas W. MacAllister, states that the majority of survivors to this kind of injury (moderate and severe) sustained serious side effects that include cognitive deficit, personality change, and in some cases, psychiatric illness.
The author says that cognitive damages are the most frequent, especially in the following areas:
- independent life,
- social readaptation,
- family life, and
- vocational activities
Also, the incapacity to solve problems, control impulses, pay attention, learn, process information, and speak.
If it wasn’t enough, the family of those who have suffered a traumatic brain injury affirm that the patients experience emotional and behavioral alterations that could go from hypersensitivity to physical and verbal aggression.
Associated Costs To The Treatment Of A TBI
The treatment of traumatic brain injury is extremely expensive. Of course, you have to consider the medical expenses and patient rehabilitation, so the severity of the injury only increases the amount that one should pay.
Some basics concepts that you should cover are:
- Medical expenses
- Psychological therapy
Furthermore, a lot of patients find it difficult to get back to their lifestyle or their jobs, having their families take care of them. They can never get a hold of their previous lives due to the traumatic brain injury they got from the accident they have no fault about.
Don’t let a traumatic brain injury ruin your life. Let us help you so that the person responsible for the injury can pay for all these expenses. The traumatic brain injury lawyers from Farahi Law Firm have years of experience that will help them obtain the compensation you are entitled to. Call us at (310) 554-8347 for a free evaluation of your case.
What To Do After Suffering A Traumatic Brain Injury In Torrance?
In case you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury after an accident due to someone else’s negligence, remember that the traumatic brain injury lawyers from Farahi Law Firm will work hard to recover the damages you are entitled to, such as:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Occupational therapy and other rehabilitation services
- Economic losses
- Property damages
- Out of pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Shock and mental anguish
- Emotional distress
- Loss of earning capacity
- Physical pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Punitive damages
The Perks of Having a Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
Brain injuries can alter your life in unimaginable ways but the economic aspect can be quantified. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the total cost for a lifetime treatment for a severe traumatic brain injury is $147 million, while the medical care for such an injury that does not need hospitalization requires spending up to $ 18 billion annually.
As you can see, these costs are extremely high, hence a lot of people cannot afford to pay for the treatment despite having excellent health insurance.
Considering everything mentioned above, you have to hire the best traumatic brain injury lawyers in Torrance to help you in your claims. Contact Farahi Law Firm now! We promise to get you the compensation you deserve. And we will make sure that you will be given the justice you ought to be served!
Contact Farahi Law Firm
Have you or a loved one had a brain injury in an accident in Torrance as a result of someone else’s negligence? At Farahi Law Firm, our traumatic brain injury lawyers are available 24/7 to evaluate your case, free of charge. We will advocate for your rights and obtain the justice you deserve. Call us at (310) 544-8347.
Our Practice Areas
Our Clients Testimonials
Like and Follow Us!
Frequently Asked Questions
Like any other personal injury, you only have two years since the date of the incident to file the claim. If there is a government institution involved, you only have 6 months to bring your case.
Legally, the negligence is proved by 4 elements:
- Duty. The accused had a legal duty to avoid actions or situations harmful to others.
- Breach of duty. The duty of care was not exercised or fell below an acceptable standard.
- Causation: The breach of duty is the cause of the accident.
Damages. There were losses and injuries as a result of the breach of duty.
Every case is different. We have to consider the nature and extensión of the injury, as well as the prognosis of the doctor. It is also necessary to consider against whom you are filing the claim and how much his/her insurance coverage amounts to.
California follows the rule of comparative negligence, which means that you only get monetary compensation minus the percentage of responsibility you’ve been found.
You don’t have to pay for anything! Our traumatic brain injury lawyers will happily evaluate your case without charge. We also have a strict policy that our clients don’t have to pay a cent until we win.