Personal Injury Lawyers
FARAHI LAW FIRM, APC
Top 100 in the Nation!
NO FEE UNLESS WE WIN!
Free Case Review
As Seen in the News
Los Angeles Truck Accident Attorneys
Truck accidents can be catastrophic and often leave victims severely injured. If you or a loved one has been injured or wrongfully killed in a trucking accident, Farahi Law Firm’s award-winning Los Angeles truck accident lawyers, California can help you get the compensation you deserve. We work on no-fee guarantee, which means unless we win your case, you won’t pay us a cent.
Because of their large size and weight, truck collisions are more likely to inflict severe injuries or death than passenger-vehicle incidents. Studies have shown that the majority of those injured or killed were occupants of other vehicles in big-rig accidents.
According to the crash stats by NHTSA-2018, fatalities in accidents involving large trucks increased for the 4th year in a row in the United States. The 2018 number of fatalities involving a large truck in California is 352, which accounts for around ten percent of the overall fatalities.
Leading Causes of Truck Accidents in Los Angeles
When a crash involves a semi-truck, big rig, 18 wheelers, or any other large commercial vehicle, a number of factors can contribute to it. Here’s some common causes of truck accidents in Los Angeles:
- Truck Driver fatigue
- Speeding or aggressive driving
- Ignoring traffic regulations
- Improperly loaded cargo
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Lack of training and safety programs for drivers
- Inadequate inspections
- Improper maintenance of trucks
- Poor weather conditions
- Distracted drivers
Truck accident injury claims are more complex than a typical lawsuit for auto crashes. Our skilled Los Angeles truck accident lawyers understand how trucking companies and insurers operate, and we decline to settle a lawsuit until our clients are adequately paid for both their injuries and losses.
Common Types of Injuries in Truck Accidents
The large size and huge weight of these commercial vehicles contribute to some of the most dreadful and impactful injuries in road traffic accidents. Victims may need years of rehabilitation for full recovery. Some common injuries other motorists suffer in a truck crash are:
- Head Injuries and Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) – Even a shallow impact from a truck collision can cause brain injury. If your head is struck , it can cause the brain inside the skull to shake vigorously and brush against the skull causing bleeding or swelling. Treatment for a brain injury can be ongoing and burn a hole in your pocket. Don’t waste the chance to receive a little financial support by filing an injury claim.
- Spinal Injuries and Paralysis – An injury to the spinal cord will devastate the life of a person. One of the leading causes for spinal cord injuries is an accident with a large commercial truck. Like brain injury, spinal injury can also cause victims to face a long period of recovery and high cost of medical treatment.
- Broken Bones – A force of impact in truck collisions can cause passenger vehicle occupants to be smashed, or hurled into dashboards, windshields, car seats, doors, etc. As a result the victim of a truck accident may suffer multiple bone fractures and even crushed bones.
- Internal Injuries and Internal Bleeding – Internal injuries can be life-threatening in commercial truck accidents. The impact of a truck accident may result in rib fractures, internal bleeding or damage to the organ and may require immediate medical treatment.
- Whiplash - Tailgating truck drivers on highways often cause rear end collisions, and whiplash is the most common injury in such accidents. A whiplash injury might not be immediately apparent, but recovering from such injuries can be expensive.
- Back and Neck injuries – Semi-truck or commercial vehicle collisions are more prone to trigger severe back, neck and spinal injuries. Spinal dislocations can lead to chronic neck and back pain, which can make resuming normal activity after an accident extremely difficult.
- Cuts & Lacerations – Cuts & lacerations which occur when a sharp object cuts tissue. Such injuries are very common in truck accidents due to broken glass and exposed sharp metal.
- Wrongful death – Commercial vehicles are extremely heavy and when these vehicles are moving at high speeds or their driver loses control, can lead to catastrophic damage. Victims die on the spot or succumb to their injuries during medical treatment. If you have lost your loved one in a truck crash, our compassionate Los Angeles truck accident lawyers can help you file a wrongful death lawsuit and receive compensation from the liable party.
Truck Accidents - Who is Liable?
In many truck accidents, the victim and his family are unsure of what happened. They likely will not know what exactly went wrong, who is at fault, and whether or not they can receive compensation. By hiring an experienced truck accident attorney, you have someone who will immediately take steps to investigate the crash and help victims identify the responsible party. Once you know who is at-fault or who can be held responsible, it becomes easy to pursue compensation from that liable party. Legally liable parties in a truck accident in Los Angeles may include:
- Truck Driver – If their incompetence triggered the crash, the truck driver may be held liable. Popular instances involve being intoxicated, distracted driving, falling asleep on the wheel, and speeding.
- Trucking Company – A trucking company may be held accountable for a truck crash, if they break federal or state regulations or if they’re accused of negligent hiring.
- Truck Manufacturer – Malfunctions like brake failure, faulty steering systems, tire blowouts, and defective hitches commonly often lead to truck crashes. The parts manufacturer retains liability in such conditions and is often responsible for paying for the victims injuries and damages.
- Cargo Loaders – Overloaded or improperly loaded cargo will greatly impair the capacity of a driver to retain vehicle control, and increase the likelihood of a jackknife or rollover crash. The cargo company may be at fault in such situations.
- Truck Owner – When the trucking company does not own the truck but is leasing it and providing a trucker with the vehicle, the owner may be held responsible in a trucking accident.
Our seasoned Los Angeles truck accident lawyers will help you navigate the personal injury litigation process smoothly and effortlessly. If needed, our attorneys will conduct detailed investigation and collect facts and hold the liable party accountable for the harm done.
Financial Compensation for Truck Accidents in Los Angeles
Truck accident lawsuits are complex and proving liability can be an arduous job. And the insurance company will leave no stone upturned to deny or lower the claim value. Avoid speaking to the defendant’s insurance company following a truck accident before hiring a knowledgeable truck accident attorney. An attorney will deal with the insurance company on your behalf and ensure you recover the maximum compensation you are entitled for. A successful truck accident lawsuit entitle you to receive compensation for the following types of harms:
- Present and future medical costs
- Lost wages and potential loss of earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Physical disfigurement
- Expenses for housekeeping, childcare, transportation needs and other losses arising from accident
Key Truck Accidents Statistics
Below are some key findings as per crash statistics data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration , this will help us understand more about the trucks, with whom we share our highways:
- In 2017 about 450,000 police-reported crashes involving large trucks were reported.
- About 57% of the fatal crashes involving large trucks happened in rural areas, 27% happened on highways of Interstate.
- 35% fatal crashes, and 22% of injury crashes, involving large trucks happened at night (6:00 pm to 6:00 am).
- In the United States there were 13.0 fatal large truck accidents per million people in 2017, a rise of 23 percent from 10.6 in 2010.
- In 2018, 71 % of people killed in Large – truck collisions were occupants of other vehicles.
- The overwhelming majority (77%) of crashes involving large trucks occurred on weekdays in 2018 (Monday through Friday).
- In 2017, 21.3% of large-truck drivers involved in fatal traffic crashes were previously convicted for speeding.
- Compared to drivers of other vehicle types, large-truck drivers involved in fatal crashes had a higher percentage (21.2%) of previously recorded crashes in 2018.
- California reported the second highest number of large trucks occupants fatalities.
- In 2018, 6.8% of fatal crashes in California involved large trucks.
How Our Los Angeles Truck Accident Lawyers Can Help You
Farahi Law Firm, APC has handled numerous truck accident claims involving semi-trucks, 18 wheelers, Tractor Trailers, dump trucks, delivery and cargo trucks, in Los Angeles. Our truck accident attorneys are well versed with the federal laws related to the truck industry and can competently protect your rights by holding the negligent trucker or trucking company accountable for your injuries or damages. Contact us for a free consultation today at (310) 601-4925
Frequently Asked Questions
No, we always advise our clients to hire an attorney first and then let your attorney deal with the at-fault driver’s insurer. It’s not easy to take on a big trucking company after being injured in a truck accident. Many such firms have seasoned legal experts on their payrolls, and their insurers pay huge bucks to their lawyers to make sure that they have to compensate innocent injured parties as little as possible. Injured in a truck accident in Los Angeles? Contact top rated trial attorneys at Farahi Law Firm, APC and protect your rights.
If you have lost your loved one in a truck accident in Los Angeles due to truck driver’s negligence, you and your family are entitled to file a wrongful death claim against the negligent party. Compensation in a wrongful death claim is awarded to make up for the loss of your family member. While it will not bring back your family member, it sure can bring justice. Farahi Law Firm’s dedicated and successful truck accident attorneys are here to fight for you. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Truck accident attorneys at Farahi Law Firm, APC work on a contingency fee basis, and don’t charge up-front fees. You don’t owe us anything unless we win the claim and recover compensation for you. Contact us for a free consultation today.
Settlement in a trucking lawsuit can depend upon a number of factors and may vary from one case to another. It takes 3 months on average from the day you submit a personal injury claim to receive the insurer’s initial response. Once the attorneys from both sides reach an agreement, and the claim is legally settled; your settlement can take up to six weeks for processing, on average.
Under the Pure Comparative Negligence Rule, the victim of a California truck accident can still seek compensation from a negligent truck driver even if the victim shared responsibility for the accident. The sum of the victim’s compensation will be reduced by the proportion of the victim’s own responsibility for the incident.
Free Case Review
Our Recent Blogs
Our Clients Testimonials
Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter
No spam, notifications only about new updates on Farahi Law Firm, APC.