Personal Injury Lawyers
FARAHI LAW FIRM, APC
Top 100 in the Nation!
NO FEE UNLESS WE WIN!
Free Case Review
As Seen In The News
Los Angeles Back Injury Attorneys
Being a leading back injury law firm in Los Angeles, our attorneys have witnessed the debilitating consequences of back or spinal cord injuries. Our expert Los Angeles back injury lawyers are here to help accident victims and their families to get back on their feet as quickly as possible.
We will provide the best legal assistance and advocacy to ensure that an injured person receives the maximum compensation they deserve, while they only focus on health recovery.
Back injuries, in most cases, are related to spinal cord injuries and catastrophic in nature. The implications of such injuries are long-term or can be lifelong. Victims of back or spinal injury may suffer permanent disabilities that range from complete paralysis to inability to walk and lack of sensation.
Living with a back injury can be challenging, as it may require long-term medical treatment. And the cost of rehabilitation, physical therapy, and nursing care can be quite high. Such sorts of losses and damages may not be readily evident. Hence, the victim or his family should immediately contact a qualified back injury lawyer to protect their rights.
What is a Back Injury?
The back includes:
- Spinal bones and joints of the spine (vertebrae).
- Discs separating the vertebrae, and absorbing shock as you move.
- Muscles and ligaments holding the spine together.
Damage, wear, or trauma to the bones, muscles, or other tissues of the back cause back injuries. The lower back is the most prominent site of back injuries and back pain. Common back injuries include sprains and strains, herniated discs, and fractured vertebrae. The common symptoms include:
- Dull, aching sensation in the lower back,
- stabbing or shooting pain radiating down the leg,
- inability to stand up straight without pain,
- decreased range of motion and diminished ability to flex the back.
Lower back pain is the most common injury to the back muscles or ligaments. Back injuries can simply occur from lifting a heavy object, exercising too hard, or from poor sitting posture. There may also be minor injuries caused by a slip, trip, and falls or sudden spine twisting. Severe back injuries can occur from car collisions, falls from substantial heights, blunt hits to the back, or a penetrating injury such as a stab wound.
Common Causes of Back or Spinal Injuries
Common Types of Back Injuries Caused by Accidents
Back injuries can be severe and may demand the victims to undergo prolonged and often expensive medical care to recover to full health. A complete recovery is not possible in many cases, so victims are forced to deal with rising medical expenses, loss of income, severe pain, and mental trauma arising from such injuries.
If you suffered back injuries in an incident in Los Angeles that was caused by someone else’s fault, you would not have to deal with these expenses on your own. The person or entity that caused your back injury will be expected to pay for your damages. Our Los Angeles back injury lawyers have experience and resources to help you recover the fair compensation you and your family deserve in such cases. Some of the most common types of back injuries you can claim compensation for include:
- Whiplash – Whiplash is the most common injury to the back and neck following rear-end auto crashes. It is caused by sudden back and forth neck movement, like a whip cracking. Other incidents like physical assaults, slip and fall accidents and sports injury can also cause whiplash. Whiplash symptoms may take hours or even days to completely manifest following an accident. Typical symptoms include neck and back pain, muscle stiffness, tiredness, and dizziness.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal cord injuries are the most devastating back injuries. Even a minor bruise, laceration, abrasion or cut can result in paralysis. Spinal injuries can further lead to additional medical complications like infections, internal bleeding, blood clots, and spinal fluid leakage. The recovery period can be quite long for victims of spinal cord injuries and require as much help and assistance as their friends and relatives can give.
- Spinal Fractures – Spinal fractures occur when the head or spine endures a severe force hit. A common form of spinal fracture is a compression fracture, which is a slight crack or fissure around the vertebrae. This may either inflict little or no pain or be extremely horrifying. Pain and discomfort can escalate even by breathing or walking. Spinal fractures are treated based upon the severity, while some can recover by rest, others may require surgery.
- Herniated Discs – During an accident, the discs cushioning the vertebrae in the spine can be exposed to excessive impact. The force will shift the discs, cause it to pinch nerves, and induce pain or numbness. This is termed as herniated disc injury. Sometimes can also be known as slipped disc, ruptured, or bulging disc injury. Non-invasive methods are the best ways to treat a herniated disc. However, some severe cases may require surgery.
- Spondylolisthesis – Spondylolisthesis occurs when the fractures cause the vertebrae to shift out of their aligned position. This causes the nerves or the spinal cord to compress, resulting in pain, numbness, discomfort, fatigue, and trouble walking. Most cases of spondylolisthesis may be treated using physical therapy or chiropractic adjustments. But, some cases can only be dealt with surgery.
- Spinal Stenosis – While spinal stenosis is usually not directly triggered by an accident, but, a collision may cause a person with asymptomatic spinal stenosis to begin experiencing symptoms. A spinal injury medical specialist can assess if a traffic crash has exacerbated the effects of spinal stenosis, and you may claim for your injury from the negligent party.
- Soft Tissue Damage – Injuries to the soft tissues of the back arise when the head, spine, chest, and shoulders of a person in a car accident are suddenly jolted around. This can cause muscles and ligaments to tear apart or rupture. Such injuries may severely affect your ability to perform daily activities. Sprain or a strain to the thoracic and lumbar spine are common examples.
Most back injuries don’t show up immediately; hence, it is vital that you seek prompt medical help in order to have your back injuries properly diagnosed. And if your injuries were the result of someone else’s negligence, you should speak to attorneys specializing in back injury litigation as quickly as possible to protect your legal rights.
Compensation for a Back Injury in Los Angeles
Although a personal injury lawsuit doesn’t wash away all the pain and suffering, it may help ease the financial pressure and stress that might have been imposed upon you and your family. Contact Los Angeles back injury lawyers today to discuss your case. As a back injury victim, one can seek compensation from the individual or an organization that is legally responsible for the direct cause of their injuries, or the underlying factor that contributed to their injuries. The compensatory damages in a back injury lawsuit in Los Angeles include:
- Present and future medical bills
- Costs for rehabilitation
- Costs for occupational and job-retraining
- Compensation for household services
- Lost income due to inability to work
- Future earnings loss
- Pain and suffering, including mental anguish
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium for affected spouses
In rare back injury cases, punitive damages are awarded too. Punitive damages are awarded when the conduct of the defendant is considered so egregious or outrageous that the defendant’s behavior needs to be punished.
Factors That Can Affect a Back Injury Claims Value
While the value of a claim for back injury will be determined primarily on the severity of the injuries, there are two additional factors that will likely affect the amount of compensation received:
- Failure to Mitigate Damages: You are expected to minimize the harm after you have sustained a back injury by taking appropriate action to mitigate the damage. Failure to take such steps will certainly provide an opportunity for the defendant’s insurer to reduce a significant portion of damages.
- Comparative Negligence: If you were found 20% at-fault in the accident, your compensation amount would be reduced by 20%, and you’ll be able to get 80% of the total awarded damages.
Need help to claim for your back or spinal cord injury? We are here for you! Farahi Law Firm’s back injury attorneys have excellent legal experience, and they advocate fiercely in Los Angeles to protect the interests of injured people. Contact us at (310) 601-4925 to schedule a free consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions
In Los Angeles, the statute of limitations to file a back injury claim is 2 years from the date of incident. When you sue a municipal body such as the City of Los Angeles, the statute of limitations would be much shorter — you will have just 6 months to file your initial lawsuit. One should not hesitate to contact an experienced back injury attorney after having suffered a serious injury.
Settlement of a case depends upon multiple factors. However, settling a case of back injuries until the full severity of the condition is established is a risk that will cost you significant financial security. While matters relating to spinal injury are extremely complex, our company carefully plans each case for the trial. The reputation for being well-prepared in the courts, and as aggressive, successful litigators, also gives us an edge at mediation talks. Contact skilled back injury attorneys at Farahi Law Firm to build a strong case today.
The defendant’s insurance company would reject the liability by arguing that it was a preexisting injury, and the pain following an incident simply had nothing to do with the crash. Thus, working with a competent back injury lawyer in Los Angeles is a vital step in safeguarding your rights when you have aggravated pre existing back injuries in an accident.
Yes you can claim for back injuries sustained in a car crash because of defective airbags. You may have the right to claim from the firms who manufactured, designed, and marketed the drug. Making a claim against such big companies can be an arduous job. Thus, it is in the victim’s best interest to hire skilled back injury lawyers in Los Angeles to give vigorous fight to the insurance companies of these firms.
Any individual or entity whose negligence or deliberate misconduct caused the injuries may be considered liable to pay for the victim’s losses in back injury cases. Depending upon the case scenario the list of possible liable parties can include vehicle drivers, property owners, product manufactures, store managers, medical facility, managers of building projects, school, municipalities etc.
Free Case Review
Our Recent Blogs
Our Clients Testimonials
Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter
No spam, notifications only about new updates on Farahi Law Firm, APC.