San Pedro, California
Dog Bite Lawyers
JUSTIN FOR JUSTICE
FARAHI LAW FIRM
Free Case Review
Award Winning Law Firm
As Seen In The News
Dog Bite Lawyers in San Pedro, California
Dogs are loving and caring pets, but if they are not trained or not used to socialize, they could be dangerous. You cannot approach any canine just because it looks cute or lovely. You have to be careful! All dogs bite when provoked.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs each year, half of these are children. Besides, one in five dog bites results in injuries severe enough to require medical attention.
If you or a loved one are suffering the physical pain and the psychological sequelae after a dog attack, you must file a lawsuit and protect your rights.
Please, seek the counsel of a skilled dog bite lawyer who advocates for you, and obtains the compensation you deserve. At Farahi Law Firm, we have years of experience in handling claims involving animal bites. We are here for you 24/7.
Common Injuries After a Dog Bite
According to the CDC the most common dog-bite related injuries are:
- Contusion /abrasion/ hematoma
- Fracture/ Dislocation
- Unspecified dog bite/ Other
However, other possible and more traumatic injuries are:
- Deep scarring
- Nerve damage and lasting paralysis
- Loss of vision
- Traumatic brain injury
- Fracture and broken bones
- Rabies, MRSA, hepatitis, and Pasteurella
- Lingering emotional and psychological trauma
In 2012, more than 27,000 people underwent reconstructive surgery as a result of dog-bite related injuries. Their treatment was 50% higher than the average injury-related hospital stay.
PSTD Symptoms After a Dog Bite or Dog Attack
Mayo Clinic describes PTSD as a mental health condition that is triggered by a terrifying event, like a dog attack. Signs and symptoms may include flashbacks, nightmares, and severe anxiety, as well as uncontrollable thoughts about the event.
The symptoms may start within weeks of the dog bite, but sometimes it takes years for the disorder to appear. The condition causes severe problems in the victim’s social and work/school life. He or she is unable to perform his/her normal daily tasks, as well as interact with other people.
PTSD symptoms are grouped into four types:
- Recurrent, unwanted distressing memories of the dog attack
- Reliving the dog bite as if it was happening again (flashbacks)
- Upsetting dreams or nightmares about the attack
- Severe emotional distress or physical reactions to something that reminds you of the attack, like being near a dog.
- Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the dog bite
- Avoiding places, activities or people related to dogs or the dog attack
Negative Changes in Thinking and Mood
- Negative thoughts about yourself, other people or the world
- Hopelessness about the future
- Memory problems, including not remembering important aspects of the attack
- Difficulty maintaining close relationships
- Feeling detached from family and friends
- Lack of interest in activities you once enjoyed
- Difficulty experiencing positive emotions
- Feeling emotionally numb
Changes in Physical and Emotional Reactions
- Being easily startled
- Always being on guard for danger
- Self-destructive behavior
- Trouble sleeping
- Trouble concentrating
PTSD varies in intensity over time and in stressful circumstances. Getting treatment as soon as possible would prevent symptoms from getting worse.
What To Do After a Dog Bite
After a dog bite, it is essential to:
- Take photographs of the wounds, bruises, or other injuries before they are treated
- Prevent further infections, so call 911 and ask the EMTs to check your wounds.
- File a report of the incident
- Write down the dog’s owner’s info (name, address, phone number, and, if possible his or her insurance information), as well as any potential witness.
- Note down the events and circumstances of the incident.
- Keep track of all your expenses related to your injuries
- Contact the best dog-bite lawyer in San Fernando. Call Farahi Law Firm at (844) 4-JUSTICE. We will get the compensation you deserve!
Who Is Held Responsible For Dog-Bite Injuries and PSTD in San Pedro?
According to the Insurance Information Institute (Triple-I), California is the state with the largest number of dog bite claims in the United States, since registered 2,396 in 2019. These are 1,128 more claims than Florida’s, which were only 1,268 claims and placed second. But who is held responsible for a dog bite?
As stated by Section 3342 of California’s Civil Code, the owner of any dog “is liable for the damages any person suffered who is bitten in a public or private place, including the property of the owner of the dog regardless of the former viciousness of the animal or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.”
The exception to this law is any governmental agency who is using a dog in military or police work if the bite occurred while:
- The dog was defending itself from an annoying, harassing, or provoking act.
- The apprehension or holding of a suspect.
- The investigation of a crime or possible crime.
- The execution of a warrant.
- The defense of a peace officer or another person.
What damages can be Recovered in a Dog Bite Lawsuit in San Pedro?
If you are suffering PSTD or you were injured after a dog bite, you can recover compensation for your physical and emotional pain. Hiring an experienced attorney will be an asset. At Farahi Law Firm, we are here to help you obtain the justice you deserve.
Among those damages are:
- Past, present and future medical expenses,
- Psychological counseling, and
- Lost wages,
- Rehabilitation costs,
- Diminished earning capacity,
- Physical or vocational therapy,
- Property damages,
- Loss of consortium, and
- Punitive damages
How will the Dog Owner Pay All These Damages?
Dog owners often carry insurance plans that will cover your damages in the event of a dog bite, such as:
- Dog owner insurance
- Auto liability insurance
- Homeowner’s or renter’s insurances
- Personal umbrella liability policies
Triple-I affirms that homeowners and renters policies cover dog bite liability legal expenses up to $300,000. If your cla0im exceeds that limit, the pet owner is responsible for all damages above that amount.
During 2019, the average cost per claim was $44,760, 14.7% higher than in the previous year, when it was $39,017.
How Much Time Do I Have to File a Dog Bite Claim in San Pedro?
As in any other county in California, you have two years from the date of the dog bite to file the case to save your privileges. This period is known as the statute of limitations. In the case your lawsuit is filed after this time, the court may rule it without a trial.
Why do I Need a Dog Bite Lawyer?
There’s always the possibility that the defendants argue that you were trespassing illegally on his/her property, affirm that you provoked the dog’s violent reaction, or simply attempt to deny ownership of the aggressive animal.
The assistance and guide of a skilled and experienced dog bite lawyer will help you to secure the monetary compensation you are entitled to. You will be able to pay all the medical and psychological treatments you required due to the animal attack.
At Farahi Law Firm, we are here for you to help you sort these complicated scenarios. Our experienced lawyers will work hard to obtain the justice you deserve. Contact us today!
Contact Farahi Law Firm
Have you been bitten by a dog in San Pedro? Contact an expert dog bite lawyer immediately. At Farahi Law Firm, we have the experienced attorneys that will recover the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today at (310) 744-8015 for a free consultation with one of our lawyers. We are available 24/7.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Regardless of the situation, or if the dog owner acted reasonably, the owner will be held responsible based on the “strict liability” imposed section 3342 of California’s Civil Code.
Yes, as long as you were not provoking or harassing the dog.
Only if the dog is being kept at the local pound, escapes, and bites you. Then, you could claim negligence against the pound.
It depends on the severity of your injuries and their healing process. We want to be aware of any potential damages before any settlement negotiation.
It depends on the severity of your injuries, as well as your medical bills. We cannot tell without a thorough evaluation of your medical records and viewing of any scarring.
At Farahi Law Firm, we have a strict policy that our clients don’t have to pay a fee until we win.
Free Case Review
Like and Follow Us
Our Recent Blogs
Our Clients Testimonials
Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter
No spam, notifications only about new updates on Farahi Law Firm, APC.