Personal Injury Lawyers
FARAHI LAW FIRM, APC
Top 100 in the Nation!
NO FEE UNLESS WE WIN!
Free Case Review
As Seen In The News
Bakersfield Bicycle Accident Attorneys
If you, your child, or a loved one were injured in a bicycle accident, Farahi Law Firm’s top-rated bicycle accident lawyers in Bakersfield, California, will fight for your rights. Our bicycle accident attorneys have handled a significant number of bicycle accident cases, including catastrophic injury, traumatic brain injury, and post-traumatic stress disorder cases.
. Riding a bicycle is on the best outdoor activities for people of all ages to enjoy, it is fun to go out with friends as a kid in a “bicycle gang” to just wander around town and for adults to get plenty of enjoyable exercise particularly in the sunny climate of Bakersfield. While protected and taken into account by the traffic laws of California, their rights are not always respected by drivers of motor vehicles.
In a bicycle accident, the injuries sustained can be extremely severe because the bikers normally are only protected by a helmet and pads on the elbows and knees at best, because of that the risk of injury is raised exponentially. Medical expenses, loss of income from work, and other financial damages can have a significant and sometimes permanent effect. If you or a loved one is injured in a bicycle accident, it’s critical to have an expert bicycle accident lawyer on your side.
Most Common Causes Of Bicycle Accidents In Los Angeles
Although bicyclists are governed by the same rules of the road as are any other individual in California, the fact that bicycles are smaller and lighter than other vehicles puts bicyclists at disadvantage. It happens all too often that bicyclists get sideswiped, ran over, or have their right of way ignored at an intersection.
With more than a decade of experience handling personal injury cases, Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyers at Farahi Law Firm have the experience. We know how to handle a wide variety of bicycle accident cases, including:
- Distracted Driving:It is one of the leading causes of all types of motor vehicle collisions. When drivers divide their attention between the road and distractors like their phone, they are more likely to cause accidents.
- Speeding: Speeding can be linked to a significant number of bicycle accident injuries and deaths. Injuries in speeding crashes are often catastrophic because of the force of impact. Whether it’s a bicyclist or a motor vehicle driver, they should always consider driving or riding within safe speed limits.
- Drunk Driving: Alcohol and drug impairment significantly decreases drivers’ reaction time to avoid collisions and leads to too many crashes involving bicycles. Drunk driving is one of the prime causes of death in vehicle-related accidents all over the world.
- Riding too Close to a Lane of Motor Vehicle Traffic: Hazardous situations are created by drivers who follow the cyclists too close and pass within less than three feet between them. Bicyclists should never presume that cars would leave enough space for them to drive their bikes safely. To use a shoulder lane or sidewalk could be better than using the right edge of a road.
- Unsafe Lane Changes:Bicyclists have the same rights and duties as all other motorists do on the roads. Collisions involving motor vehicles making unsafe lane changes can be dangerous. Before merging or changing lanes, drivers must ensure that there is no bicyclist beside them or in their blind spot. Turning without checking for bicyclists is a frequent cause of bicycle accidents at intersections.
- Failure to Yield:Bicyclists can reasonably expect vehicles to yield the right of way, but they should never assume the drivers will. Failure to yield is another reckless driving example that poses significant risks to bicycle riders. Determining liability is always difficult in such instances. One should recruit a knowledgeable bicycle accident attorney as soon as possible to discuss their legal options.
- Dooring: Dooring is another frequent bicycle crash caused when motorists open the doors of their vehicles onto the cyclists’ paths. A sudden car door opening is a severe and unexpected danger for bicyclists. Before opening a car door, both drivers and passengers in vehicles are required to look out for cyclists.
- Road Hazards:In Los Angeles, if you become a victim of a bicycle accident due to a road hazard, you may be able to file a claim against the local government. Common road hazards that cause bicycle accidents include potholes, poor road designs, signal malfunctioning, uneven road surfaces, debris, oil, and fallen signs or trees.
In all of these situations, the negligence of a motor vehicle driver can cause serious injury to a bicyclist. The bicycle rider should have legal counsel dedicated to helping them recover the compensation they deserve. Our bicycle accident lawyers in Bakersfield provide each personal injury case the attention it deserves and help victims achieve the maximum financial recovery that is possible for them.
Common Injuries Stemming from Bicycle Accidents
In 2018, 857 bicycle riders were killed in traffic accidents across the US. Anytime there is a collision between a motor vehicle and a bicycle, it is the bicycle rider that is most likely to be harmed because they have little to no protection. Injuries in a bicycle accident can range from minor to severe. Here are some of the common injuries that bicyclists can sustain:
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injury or concussion
- Facial injuries
- Bone fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Sprains & Strains
- Internal organ injury
- Muscle tears & ligament rupture
- Cuts & Lacerations
- Road rash
Bicycle Accident Liability in Los Angeles
In a bicycle accident case in Bakersfield, the injured party must prove the following:
- The defendant had a duty to ensure the safety of the victim.
- The defendant breached that duty.
- The crash would not have existed if it not been about the negligent actions of the defendant.
- The defendant’s negligent actions caused the victim’s injuries and losses.
Many bicyclists ignore the fact that traffic rules and road signs apply to them as well. They should also behave responsibly while riding to prevent a collision. If a bicyclist neglects these norms and causes an accident, the other affected party can pursue legal action against them. This can significantly impact the bicyclist’s financial status as there is no provision of having any insurance cover for a bicycle.
Moreover, if a cyclist is partially liable for the accident, his compensation amount will be reduced by his percentage share in the accident case per the comparative liability law in California. Hiring a bicycle accident attorney immediately after a crash will ensure the victim receives rightful compensation. A competent lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation of the crash scene to determine what triggered the collision, who’s the liable party, and how to proceed further.
Bicycle Safety Guidelines that can Help Prevent Accidents and Injuries
- Wear a proper bike helmet and other safety equipment while cycling.
- Follow all traffic rules while riding a bicycle as if you were driving a car.
- Equip your bike with reflectors and lights to improve driver visibility at night.
- Wear bright color clothes when riding.
- Stop riding alone or when visibility is low, e.g., at night or in bad weather.
- Teach your kids bicycle safety rules.
- Ensure that kids are following safety rules while cycling.
Why Choose Bicycle Accident Lawyers at Farahi Law Firm
Farahi Law Firm, APC, has a history of bringing justice and fair compensation to bicycle accident victims. Our top-rated bicycle accident lawyers in Bakersfield are widely known for their successful representation of injury victims. We have been awarded several honors for our extensive knowledge, expertise, competence, and accomplishment in the field of personal injury. Contact us at (661) 403-4243 to schedule a free consultation.
Free Case Review
Our Recent Blogs
Our Clients Testimonials
Subscribe To Our Weekly Newsletter
No spam, notifications only about new updates on Farahi Law Firm, APC.