Injured in a truck accident in Los Angeles? Skilled Los Angeles truck accident attorneys at Farahi Law Firm, APC will help you understand your legal options and estimate the compensation you could receive from a successful claim. Truck accidents are too common in California knowing the fact that trucking companies have legal duty to operate their commercial fleet safely. As per California truck mishap insights, Southern California sees a normal of 113 lethal truck mishaps and 2,978 damage crashes including trucks every year. According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approx. 300 people are killed in large truck accidents in California each year. This makes Southern California the deadliest region in state.
Although the Fatalities in Crashes Involving a Large Truck in Los Angeles county recorder lowest in the last five years with 0.40 fatalities per 100000 population, Light Truck and Van Occupant Fatalities recorded highest with 0.90 fatalities per 100000 population.
Reasons that can Lead to Truck Accident in Los Angeles
Knowing the common reasons that can lead to a truck accident can help prevent it. If you’ve been injured in a truck accident in Los Angeles, call our LA truck accident attorneys. Here’re some common reasons that can lead to a truck accident:
- Fatigued Driver – Truck drivers are constantly under pressure to deliver their freight as fast as possible. This results in fatigued driving, which reduces the response time of a driver.
- Distracted Truck Drivers- Common distractions like, Talking/Texting over mobile phone, Eating/Drinking while at the same time driving, altering sound or atmosphere controls are the regular reason for collisions.
- Over Speeding Truck Drivers: In order to complete the delivery deadline often drivers are found speeding which leads to devastating accidents.
- Under trained Truck Drivers: It is found that truck companies often failed to conduct a thorough check on driver’s background or sometimes neglecting their past irresponsible behaviour which may result in accidents.
- Poorly Loaded Truck: Truck companies should abide the Federal Trucking regulation which does not allow the truck companies to overload trucks.
- Lack of Proper Maintenance: The truck companies should ensure that before truck hits the road it should be checked properly by the maintenance team to avoid any technical issues with brakes, tires etc.
- Road Hazard: Sudden hazards like potholes and road debris can cause truckers to lose control of the vehicle and lead to dangerous accident.
Who can be Held Liable for the Truck Accident?
Given the large size of trucks these events are catastrophic, they are also very difficult from a legal point of view, as there are usually multiple parties who can be held responsible for injury and death. In the event of a truck accident, victims have the right to hold the at-fault party responsible and seek compensation for all resulting injuries and economic losses. But who can be held liable for that?
- Truck company – can be held liable for the accident if they have hired an under trained driver and have neglected the past irresponsible and poor behaviour of the driver and have still allowed him to hit the road.
- Truck Driver – can himself be responsible for the accident if he was driving negligently like driving in speed, distracted while driving, ignoring signs or not following the rules.
- Manufacturing Company – there could be a probability that the truck was a defective piece but was still was sold to companies which led to the accident. In such case manufacturing company will be held responsible for the accident.
- Trucking Maintenance company – it’s the first and foremost duty of the maintenance team to check the truck thoroughly to make sure every technical part is working fine before truck hits the road.
- Trucking loading company – The truck companies has a duty to guarantee the heap is appropriately verified, if the mishap was because of an inappropriately verified burden than the loading company will be held liable for the accident.
What to Do after Truck Accident?
Injured in a truck accident in Los Angeles? Follow the following steps to protect your rights:
- Call the police – By calling the police you are getting your case documented in legal record which further gives more weightage when filling for insurance claim for injuries and damages of your vehicle.
- Collect information – It is always advisable to collect as much information like insurance details from other party, witness and photographs but if you find the other vehicles’ driver heavily drunk try not to involve much with him/her because they might get aggressive and may lead to change in scenario.
- Do not move the vehicle – It’s important not to move the vehicle until and unless it is blocking the traffic or causing any harm to people in or out of the car and if you have to take pictures from wide angles so that other party cannot manipulate the scene.
- Never say no for injuries – This is one of the major reasons your accident case might get turned down just because in the heat of accident you felt no pain so when the police/insurance asked you about injuries you said No! If you are not bleeding does not mean you are not hurt, it is just that you are traumatized from an accident which does not allow your brain to think about your pain and as per our experience we have found 70-80% accident victims feel pain the next day.
- Seek medical attention – Like we said in above paragraph, regardless of how you are feeling do not say no to medical attention. Only a medical examiner can put your mind at ease, diagnose and treat for your injuries.
- Stay calm – Do not to involve yourself in any kind of verbal or physical fight.
An accident involving a big rig or a truck can cause catastrophic damage. Ensure you get the compensation you deserve. Although the time limit to put a legal claim is two years which seems to be a lot of time, but we always suggest our clients to put up the case asap because truck companies will waste no time investigating the case may come up with different story which can hamper your case.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a truck accident, speak with a Los Angeles truck accident attorney at Farahi Law Firm, APC today. Schedule a free consultation for your truck accident claim at (844) 4-JUSTICE.