Intensive knowledge of Insurance Law is required to deal with Uninsured and Underinsured motorist accident cases. Skilled personal injury attorneys at Farahi Law Firm, APC deal with all the nuances and challenges that arise with such claims with ease. Their strong advocacy and aggressive representation of a case ensures the recovery of justified compensation for the accident injury victims.
With the expansion in number of registered vehicles the quantity of uninsured or underinsured drivers is rising too in Los Angeles. The precise number is obscure yet according to the recent estimates the number of uninsured drivers in the state of California is about 20%. This implies your risk of getting hit by an uninsured driver is growing.
With such high numbers it is advisable to purchase the maximum coverage available including uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.
California Auto insurance Liability
California law states, “All drivers and all owners of a motor vehicle shall at all times be able to establish financial responsibility and shall at all times carry in the vehicle evidence of the form of financial responsibility in effect for the vehicle.” This financial responsibility is in the form of auto liability Coverage. (California Department of Insurance)
Liability coverage helps pay for injuries or damage to others when you are responsible, not for injuries to you or the people in your family. Driving without this auto insurance is illegal in state
This insurance comes with a limit and below are the minimum insurance limits for a standard auto policy in the state of California:
- $15,000 for the death or bodily injury of any one person. If one person is injured in the accident, your coverage pays up to $15,000.
- $30,000 in total for the death or bodily injury of more than one person in any one accident. If 2 or more people are injured, the coverage pays up to $30,000. The coverage will not pay more. The injured people share the money.
- This coverage applies to injuries or damages to third parties not to the driver.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC) /Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM)
This coverage helps you to deal with uninsured and underinsured motorist accident. It protects you and your passengers if you are in an accident with a driver who does not have any liability insurance, or lacks enough liability insurance to pay for your damages.
The insurance company must offer you this coverage. If you choose not to buy it, you must sign a form, called a waiver. The form says you were offered the coverage and turned it down.
- Uninsured motorist bodily injury (UMBI): If you and your passengers get injuries as a result from an accident caused by an uninsured driver, this coverage pays you for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. The liability coverage limits apply here too.
- Underinsured motorist (UIM):This covers limited costs for bodily injury if you are in an accident with a driver who does not have enough insurance to pay for damage
- Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD): This pays for the damages an uninsured driver causes to your to your car in an accident.The limit is $3,500. You only get paid if the uninsured driver is identified.
Some people are reluctant to make a claim on their own policy fearing their insurance rates will increase. The key reason your insurance premium may go up is you getting involved in multiple accidents within a short period of time. However if an uninsured/underinsured motorist is liable for an accident, then the insurance company cannot raise premiums, cancel coverage or refuse to renew your policy for making UM/UIM claims. Hence one should definitely use this coverage when they are injured by someone who does not have proper coverage.
If you or a loved one got involved in an accident with an uninsured/underinsured motorist speak with our uninsured motorist attorney in Los Angeles today. Call Farahi Law Firm, APC for a free consultation today (844) 4-JUSTICE